Sunday, January 6, 2013

Happy New Year!!

So I said on my Facebook page that I would have a new blog posted about our New Year's activities on January 1....here it is January 6 and I am just now getting around to writing it. I would say shame on me, but here's what I have come to realize. I'm a mom of three young girls and the wife to a pretty awesome dude. I'm busy and spending time with them definitely trumps writing a blog post. That's not to say I don't enjoy this because I do but time is precious and my babies will be grown before I know it and by golly I want some fun and memorable moments before they have zero interest in hanging out with Mom.

So, now I have a few minutes while my darling, S holds Baby A and Miss I snuggles with her daddy. You might think this would be a quiet time, but you'd be wrong. Its actually quite the opposite and right now I have no interest in inserting myself into the drama that is unfolding in the other room. The General can handle it....I think.

Now, how about those New Year's activities?! We had tons of fun counting down the hours until the New Year by popping one balloon an hour. In those balloons were various activities or goodies. These balloons were clipped onto our previously undecorated Christmas tree along with some New Year's headbands and 2013 glasses. The tree was still up, so why not make good use of it?! I had seen this idea here and decided to do the same at my house.
Of course there are tons of different ideas about how to count down the New Year with your kiddos on Pinterest. I gathered some and thought of some of my own. I then decided instead of goodie bags (I saw so many variations of this idea floating around), I would put these different activities in the balloons and let them pop one an hour until midnight. We started the popping at noon. I and S took turns popping the balloons. One would choose the balloon and the other would pop it. They switched jobs every hour. Here is a list of activities we did in our countdown :)

Play “Go Fish”

Parent vs. Kid Relay Race


Scavenger Hunt

Snap Pops!
Pedicures
Balloon Volleyball

I also had a couple of balloons with some money in them. I did NOT have a balloon for midnight because we had a preset activity of toasting with sparkling cider, setting off our bigger fireworks, and watching the countdown (and then of course a hasty retreat to bed!)

The favorite activities were definitely the scavenger hunt, balloon volleyball, snap pops, and the tape ball game. I am greatly looking forward to doing this along with maybe some other fun activities next year. This is definitely going to become a tradition in our family. 

How did you ring in the New Year? Did you consult Pinterest for some fun ideas? Kids? No Kids? Drinking? Sober? However you celebrated, I hope you were safe and that you had a good time! Happy 2013 and may you be blessed with health, wealth, and happiness!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment